About People & Pets Together
People & Pets Together, formerly The Pet Project, was founded in 2009 in response to the global economic downturn and heartbreaking stories of people who were forced to give up their pets due to financial hardship. Our mission is to support the relationships that people have with their pets, and to prevent the surrender of pets during times of economic crisis. People & Pets Together was one of the first such surrender prevention programs in the Midwest.
In early 2016, we opened our pet food shelf in Minneapolis.
2019 Annual Report
2019 was another year of growth for People & Pets Together.
- 97,968 pounds of dog and cat food distributed at the People & Pets Together food shelf, plus 7 tons of cat litter.
- 872 households served, including 1,063 cats and 814 dogs, in addition to birds, guinea pigs, rabbits, fish and other small animals.
- 24% increase in client visits from 2018.
- In 2019, we delivered over 31,000 pounds of dog and cat food to Twin Cities food shelves.
- People & Pets Together’s veterinary assistance grant program helped cover emergency vet bills for many low-income households.
Many thanks to all of our friends and donors for making 2019 an exceptional year for People & Pets Together!
We’d like to thank the following friends, neighbors, nonprofit and business partners. Without you, what we do wouldn’t be possible!
American Distribution and Manufacturing Company
Best Friends Animal Society
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation
Loaves & Fishes
Minnesota Humane Society
Petco (Twin Cities metro area stores)
Rescue Bank (regional affiliate Wags & Whiskers)
SkyRidge Business Center & Nature Preserve (Bailey Properties)
University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine
We are committed to treating people with dignity and respect. People & Pets Together is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship or legal status, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, age, marital or family status.