About People & Pets Together
People & Pets Together was started in 2009 and was originally known as The Pet Project. Inspired by the economic recession and the love we feel for our own pets, we felt that something should be done to help people keep their pets when crisis strikes. We were built by volunteers and, until recently, were 100% volunteer run. Since our inception, we have worked with Metro area food shelves to provide pet food to people in need. The scope of that need was beyond our imagining. Once we realized that our community really needed our help, we started expanding our programs beyond food support. We began hosting subsidized vaccination clinics with community partners such as The Aliveness Project and Hallie Q. Brown. Since vaccinations are just a piece of the wellness puzzle, we established a veterinary grant program in 2011. With our rapid expansion and success, we were able to fulfill our dream of opening our own headquarters in South Minneapolis.
In January 2016, we opened the doors at 3755 Bloomington Ave. South. From this location, we serve as a resource center for pets in need. Our priority is to serve the greater Powderhorn and Phillips neighborhoods.
Our mission is to prevent the surrender of beloved pets by people who lack the economic resources to care for them.
We know pets are family.
2016 Year in Review
Many thanks to all of our friends and donors for making 2016 an exceptional year for People & Pets Together.
In January, People & Pets Together opened our pet food shelf in Minneapolis, the first dedicated pet food shelf in Minnesota. At year’s end:
- Over 200 families– including over 400 dogs and cats, in addition to birds, guinea pigs, rabbits and other companion animals– had received assistance at the food shelf.
- More than 7 tons of pet food, and over 3 tons of cat litter, had been distributed to food shelf clients. We also provided other essential pet care items, such as flea/tick prevention products, leashes and collars.
In addition to the success of the food shelf, in 2016 People & Pets Together continued to provide care and support to the greater Twin Cities community. Some ongoing accomplishments:
- Since our founding, People & Pets Together’s partner food shelves have received over 300,000 lbs. of donated pet food to stock their shelves.
- People & Pets Together has collaborated with other organizations to hold 25 subsidized vaccination clinics and animal wellness events.
- Over $35,000 has been distributed through People & Pets Together’s veterinary assistance grant program to help cover emergency vet bills for low-income households.
People & Pets Together has been successful because of our dedicated volunteers and the financial support of the community. Thank you!